One of the hardest parts once you conquer breastfeeding is that sometimes it makes you feel like you should be doing something…more productive. I mean, come ON…you ARE making sure your baby is growing and thriving, but we live in a society that eats quickly, and unfortunately, babies still haven’t been forced to adopt out weird societal norm. Throw into the mix that babies nurse not just out of hunger, but out of thirst, too, and it can be darn frustrating to be sitting on that chair, nursing your baby…again. So, I came up with some truly helpful things that you could do while feeding your baby.
1) Clean up your phone contacts- If you’re like me, you phone is full of all sorts of clutter and old info and numbers for people you really never want to talk to again. Going through and deleting bad info seems like a huge chore, but is a perfect thing to do with one hand. Think of how amazing you’ll feel when it’s all clean and organized!!!!!
2) Order hard copy prints of pictures from your phone- If you’ve ever had a phone stolen with all of your pictures on it, you know how gut-wrenching it is to no longer be able to look at the pictures you’ve been taking of your sweet kids. And the reality is, those digital pictures can’t be handed down to future generations. While it may seem quaint, actual pictures in photo albums or boxes are the answer. There are apps that let you order prints from your phone, and they all have free print offers. Future you will thank now you, I promise.
3) Learn a new language- My husband is trying to learn German through podcasts. I’ve long been interested in trying Duolingo, a free app to learn languages. Finding the time can be tricky. But if you use feeding time for baby as learning time for you–you may actually make progress!
4) Get a lower cable/internet bill- Yes, this one actually requires making a potentially frustrating phone call, but if you call, tell them you’re thinking of switching to the competitor, see if you can score a lower rate. It may work, it may not. It never hurts to ask.
5) Check you credit score- This one will make you feel like you’re really doing a great job of adulting. And to make sure you don’t go the the wrong place, here are the instructions from the State of Minnesota.
6) See if there’s money out there for you, friends, or family- Yep, this is a real thing. I’ve found money for family members. I’ve never found anything for me, but maybe you’ll get lucky and locate money you didn’t know you had. Here’s Minnesota’s program. You may want to check all the states you’ve lived in or relatives have lived in. Just makes sure you ONLY look via official state government pages.
And if you’re local and you want to meet other moms and chat with a nurse, make sure you check out Mama Cafe. It’s a free group for breastfeeding mothers held every Thursday from 10am-11:30am, held here at BabyLove.
Any other clever things you do while breastfeeding? I’d love to hear about them in the comments!