Allina’s Replacement Nurses and Patient Neglect: Another mom’s story

Nurses Union

After I shared Lisa’s story Monday and Tuesday, another mom contacted me who had given birth during the strike. This time, the circumstances were a little different; Ashley had a planned cesarean. She was still suffered from incompetent care, and she wasn’t given food, water, or medication for long stretches of time for the duration of her 4 night stay.

When you read her story, please keep the following things in mind:

A few things are starting to become clear: While staffing during the strike might have been adequate in other departments and other hospitals, the night nurses at Abbott from 7PM to 7AM did not take care of the patients. Food, medication, and water were withheld from at least 2 moms for very long stretches of time. Only very vocal family members saved these moms from total neglect.

Penny Wheeler is a former OBGYN. Again, she claims up and down that the replacement nurses took good care of patients, but no decent OBGYN would find this to be safe care. How can anyone justify the care that these moms received? I’ve spent the last decade of my life advocating for good maternity care, and nothing has angered me as much as hearing this care happened within my own city.

As before, if you have questions about your care options after Monday, contact me. If you have a story about your care that you want heard, contact me. My phone number is 651-200-3343 and I can be reached at

Ashley’s story is below. It was edited for clarity, and I have been given explicit permission to post it.

I had a scheduled C-section on June 22nd, 2016 due to my son being breech. When I arrived at Abbott, I noticed that there were hundreds of people walking around protesting only to learn these were the nurses I had gotten to know over my entire pregnancy journey.

I was scheduled for surgery at 12pm, and up until I was brought into the OR everything had been going great. Then things went downhill.  The nurse who was assisting with the surgery was holding the clamp opening up my incision pulled so hard that she fell backwards off of the stool she was standing on. This ripped my incision open larger than needed and made for an extremely crooked scar. I was not allowed to hold my son for a good 45 minutes once he was taken out, but not because there was any complication. I begged and pleaded to get some skin to skin contact with him as I knew it is very important in the breastfeeding process. I was told skin to skin was unsanitary for me while being in the operating room.

Once I had been all stitched up, I was put into recovery while they made sure my uterus was shrinking and I wasn’t going to lose too much blood. At this time, they noticed my son was grunting and took him to special care to be evaluated for fluid in his lungs.

Two hours later I was brought up to my postpartum room and was introduced to my first nurse. She was amazing, and I would take her again any day. She promptly gave my meds and kept my water full, but she wouldn’t allow me to eat anything. She informed me about everything going on and kept me cleaned up well. I asked when I could go see my son and she said as soon as my catheter was removed. I was told the next nurse would do it immediately after shift change at 7pm– at that time, it was around 6pm.

When 7pm came, I paged for my nurse. I was in excruciating pain and I was bleeding so much that I had bled through the pad I had on and the blankets on my bed had become saturated. I paged my nurse at least 3 times, but nobody ever answered my calls. My dad came to visit. He found me sitting in a bloody mess,  bawling my eyes out. I was desperate for help that I was not receiving. My dad was outraged and tracked down any nurse he could to help me. At 9PM I was finally given my pain medication. I asked again about having them take out my catheter; by 10pm it was finally removed and I could go see my son.

While my son was being kept in the nursery, the staff had done an x-ray and his lungs looked clear. I had received a call from special care at 8pm saying my son had still not been fed and he was delivered at 1:18pm. He hadn’t been fed anything at all since he was born, and his blood sugar dropped to 35. I asked to breastfeed him, but I was told that was not allowed. I was told I could pump to feed him, but because I’d had a cesarean, I wasn’t allowed to breastfeed him. I was heartbroken. The only options I was given for feeding him was donor milk or formula.

I got to him around 10pm and stayed until 11pm. I went up to my room to rest and let my body recover. I was told 3am was his next feeding time, and I was welcome to come bottle feed him–but I still wasn’t allowed to breastfeed. At 3am when I came down my son had an IV in his hand. Neither his dad nor I ever gave informed consent for this to be placed. Then the nurses told me they had to give him sugar water because his blood sugar was still too low. They didn’t mention to me that his blood sugar was low when I had been there 4 hours prior. Then they also informed me they started a preventative antibiotic while I was away to stop his grunting, and he was going to have to stay in special care for at least another 48 hours. I cried as they told me if he pulls out this IV would need to put it in his head. I felt scared, sad and angry that not only they had done these things to my baby without me knowledge or consent, but that they could threaten more procedures. Infection had been ruled out prior to this IV, so I knew my son was fine without then.

On day 2 of my stay again my morning nurse did a fantastic job. My night nurse completely neglected me; she never filled my water or told me where I could go to fill it. She didn’t bring me my pain meds until 6am– right before the end of her shift. This occurred all 4 nights I was there. By 7am I was begging my good nurse to help me get the pain managed again. And it would continue to relapse at shift change every time.

My last night I was finally able to have my son with me in my room. The morning nurse was there to help me breastfeed him finally for the first time. He latched great and stayed on 30 minutes each side she was so supportive of me the entire time wanting to breastfeed my son. She promised the second I got him I could feed him myself and kept her promise.

A week and a half after I was discharged, I developed a staph infection in my incision. Originally, they told me I was mistaken. I insisted on a culture. They finally did it and sent me home that I would get results later. Next day they called me and told me I had a serious staph infection;  they sent antibiotics to my pharmacy that I needed to get immediately. If nothing got better in 3 days I was to go to urgent care. Thankfully, the infection cleared.

I encourage anyone due during strike to do your research before going through with your delivery. I also want to apologize to any other mothers who had a terrible experience during their deliveries. The delivery of my son turned into the biggest nightmare I could have never imagined. I expected it to all be so happy and didn’t imagine I’d be so depressed throughout my hospital stay. Thankfully my son and I are both extremely happy and healthy since being home.

Veronica Jacobsen, BA, CLC, CPST, LCCE, FACCE
Birth Doula, Certified Lactation Counselor, Child Passenger Safety Technician, Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator, Fellow of the Academy of Certified Childbirth Educators

Opening BabyLove in September of 2011 has allowed me to build a space where all families can come to get good information in a caring, welcoming environment. I have found that not only do I love teaching more than ever, but I also really love running a business. Hopefully my passion for every aspect of BabyLove shines through.
I live in Richfield with my husband, and I am a mother of a two great children. When I can steal a few free moments, I love to go on adventures with my family, cook, garden, thrift, can, and craft.


  1. Tanya Redfield says

    I am a friend of Ashley’s and can attest to all she has told you. Because she delivered in the Cities I was unable to visit her until she got home, but we were keeping I’m close touch by text and by Facebook. I wasn’t aware there was a nursing strike and was appalled at things she was saying about the nursing staff at hospital that is supposed to b top of the line. As a mother of 4 I had “been there”….not at an Allina hospital, but through the birth process. And things Ashley was saying just didn’t add up. I remember one conversation on Facebook with several of us moms telling her to ask for the lactation nurse, and Ashley said she wouldn’t come until baby was in the room with Ashley. I remember her posts saying she was “starving” and that someone should bring her food. I chalked it up to confusion. Ashley was a first time mom and text isn’t the easiest communication form…so maybe I just wasn’t getting the whole story. In retrospect I wish I had dropped everything and gone up to advocate for Ashley, but hindsight is 20/20…I felt she was being well cared for by a top medical staff. I don’t think Ashley herself put together her experience and the nursing strike until after she was safely home and had time to reflect. I hope, as I know Ashley also does, that your blog and these stories will save other women from this experience. The birth of a baby should be full of wonderful memories of meeting baby, bonding, first feedings….not of lying in blood soaked sheets, hungry and not able to see your baby. I understand what the striking nurses are trying to accomplish and I am with them. But there needs to be a way for it all to come together without risk to patients. Thank you for your blog!

  2. Heather says

    I am soooo very sorry that this happened to you. I am a nurse that works at TMBC and this is far beyond typical. I myself have given babies to mom once we know baby is stable (typically 5 min) to do skin to skin and even breastfeed right in the OR. We encourage breastfeeding whether you have a vaginal delivery of c-section as soon as possible. This angers me beyond belief. Again I am so sorry. Please know that us nurses don’t like any of this and only want what is best for our patients and we are trying our hardest to do that right now.

  3. Thank you says

    Thank you for helping me to decide that having my c section at Abbott during the strike is not a good choice. I can’t thank you enough.

  4. Barb Anderson says

    Unfortunately the experience and care my daughter and my daughter-in-law received at Allina’s Mother Baby Center was very impersonal and sub-standard and this was not during the strike so I am not so sure the replacement nurses are the problem.

    • says

      Allina hospitals have long had substandard staffing ratios. The strike is emblematic of the environment staff is working with.

      Additionally, because Allina is trying to impose a contract for the union nurses that’s worse than any other system in the state, they are going to have a very hard time getting the best staff.

Leave a Reply to Barb Anderson Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

one × = 6