A few nights ago, the topic of childbirth classes for second or third (or fourth) time parents came up. We were asked if we thought they need to take childbirth classes. Our answer? Maybe! So if any of these apply, you might need to seriously consider taking classes.
- If you are making a change in birth place. If you are going from home birth to hospital birth, or hospital birth to birthcenter birth, or hospital to home, you need to take classes to get yourself ready for the realities of the change of birth setting. You will have new things to think about, new realities to face, and get ready with a different set of tools. In a non-birthplace setting specific class like ours, you can easily explore all of these difference in a respectful, evidence-based way.
- If you were not too happy with your previous birth. Not everyone gets done with their first birth and thinks that it was perfect. Some would like to make drastic changes. Again, a childbirth class that is able to listen to your needs, gives you time to ask questions, and is invested in making sure you get the information that makes you confident in your choices will help you achieve your goals, your way.
- If it’s been a long time since you last took classes. This might be obvious, but yeah, birth choices have changed in the last few years. Newborn safety has changed, and newborn care best practices have changed too. Taking classes means that you can get the best info and know that you have the most current information to keep your baby safe and happy.
- If you realize that your previous classes didn’t prepare you well. If you took super short classes, you weren’t prepared adequately for birth. No matter who the educator, 6 hours is simply not enough time to adequately address pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and newborn care. Or if you hated your classes and can’t remember anything, don;t assume that you can do what you did last time. Births for a mom rarely go the exact same way every time. Great childbirth classes help correct some of the iffy info you got last time, fills in blanks, and makes sure you are ready, no matter what happens.
- If you want to give the same attention to this pregnancy as you did the previous baby. Some times, in the hectic day to day life of being a parent, it seems like the next baby will roll right in. Our Refresher class addresses the realities of adding a new child to your family. Why not spend some time, as parents, getting mentally ready for this baby. A childbirth class can be an easy way to focus on the new addition.
I will say, too, that as an educator, I value the wisdom and experience that experienced parents bring to my classes, especially when they can offer their insight to the new parents in class. I always value what parents have to bring to class, and after having been through the process, these parents add so much!
Did you take classes during your second, third, or fourth (or more) pregnancy? Would you say it was worth it? Comment below!
Our next 6 Week Lamaze class starts Thursday, August 23rd, our next 5 Week Lamaze Class starts Sunday, September 9th, our next Weekend Lamaze Class starts September 22nd, and our next Refresher is October 6th. Click links for more info and to register!